Wednesday 25 March 2015

Introduction to Photography - Week 6

20.3.2015 (Week 6)
Josephin (0320795)
Introduction to Photography
Exercise 4: Composition
Exercise 4.a: Rule of Thirds

Lecture :
Today's class started off with small quiz by twitter application on phone. Then he gave us 1 hour to discuss together what we know and don’t understand about the material that have been given. Besides, he started to explain about Composition and the Rules of Thirds. Before we were dismissed, we were given our assignment for the week.

Instructions:
Exercise 4a: Rule of Thirds
Capture 3 Images adhering to the Rule of Thirds
Using 1 person
Using 3 persons
Using a scenery
When placing the image on the document for printing; place one image with the Rule of Third lines visible and another without the lines side by side (as instructed in class)
(Put to use what you have learnt in the Zone system exercises here)
4a) Rule of Thirds (5%)
Marking Criteria: The student must show evidence of knowledge and ability to use the Rule of Two-Thirds under the prescribed circumstances. Evidence of composition enhanced by cropping is acceptable in order to heighten the dynamism or intensity of the picture. Students must showcase their knowledge on exposure using the zone system.


1 person (XueYi) : 

1) F6.3 ISO1600 S1/4000

3 Person :

 2) F7.1 ISO1600 S1/2500

3) F8.0 ISO1600 S1/2500

Scenery :
 4) F4.5 ISO100 S1/640

5) F7.1 ISO1600 S1/4000

Screenshot: 


Feedback :

Via Facebook :
"your findings, "I feel all my pictures that I took is not satisfied because some of it do not have aesthetic and only fulfill the exercise requirement." here was very crucial in your learning. You were right to conclude such and it is an important learning point. To concoct a scene can sometimes turn out a little fake or uninteresting or believable because it has feeling like it isnt real. This can take a toll on how interesting the picture is. With regards to the exercise; Your attempt at fulfilling the challenges that were set out to test you on your ability to apply the Rule of Thirds were successful by and large. However composition like all art (the art of seeing) requires practise, so I believe if you continue to exercise this newly acquired skill you will eventually develop a good eye in composition. Good attempt!"

Reflection:
Experience: This is an interesting lecture that I had done because its my first time and not easy as we seem. My difficulties of doing this exercise was that I had trying to capture a picture using the Rules of Third theory for a scenery. However, while I took 1 person is the easiest since I only have one subject to shoot and make it into a well position within my frame.

Observation:
I observed that photography have a lot of principles and y difficulties of doing this exercise was that I had trying to capture a picture using the Rules of Third theory for a scenery. However, while I took 1 person is the easiest since I only have one subject to shoot and make it into a well position within my frame.

Findings:
I found that a bit complicated when I asked my friend to pose for the picture it had to take at least more than 5 minutes to set up all the setting for compose the picture and adjust the exposure accordingly. I feel all my pictures that I took is not satisfied because some of it do not have aesthetic and only fulfill the exercise requirement.


Learning goal: Students will be able to use the above mentioned rules or principle to make or capture interesting, dynamic or subtle compositions. 
Learning outcome 1: Students will be able to use exposure settings (Aperture, Shutter Speed & ISO).
Learning outcome 3: Students will be able to distinguish a bad exposure from a good exposure.
Learning outcome 2: Students will be able to use the Zone System exposure technique to achieve desired results.
Learning outcome 4: Students will be able to apply the Rule of Thirds and principles underpinning composition.

No comments:

Post a Comment