Monday 2 March 2015

Introduction to Photography - Week 3

13.2.15 (Week 3)
Josephin (0320795)
Introduction to Photography
Exercise 2b : Shutter Speed
Exercise 2c : ISO

Lecture :
Today class Mr Vinod talked about how to write reflection in the right way. He gave us ISO and Aperture test by Socrative app on our mobile phone. It showed are we view and read it or not, it also showed how much we understand the material that he have given before the class start. He gave us time to ask 3 questions of each other and we have to talk. Then, we were given of class he gave us exercise to prove ISO effects exposure and the quality (the noise and grains) of a picture. We were given short time to go outside class and take pictures to prove it. In the end of class he gave us assignment to prove shutter speed effects the movement of pictures.

Instruction :

Exercise 2b) Shutter Speed


Directions: Choose a room that has good light and a ceiling fan. Keep the fan speed at 1 and capture images using shutter settings from 1/1000th of a second till 1’ of a second. Ensure the ISO and aperture adjusted according to what your camera light meter indicates as the correct exposure throughout the exposures. Repeat this exercise after changing the fan speed from 1 to 2 and the from 2 to 3 and so on.

All images must be in black and white, you can make the adjustment in the camera (if the feature is available) or make the adjustment later in photoshop (Image > Adjust > Black & White). Upload the screenshot of the document only and not the individual pictures for the shutter speed exercise.



Exercise 2c: ISO
Upon reading, viewing and discussing the material on ISO, we have come to agree that ISO effects exposure (Exercise 2c.1) and effects the quality of an image (Exercise 2c.2).
Your task today, requires you to prove that:
2c.1) ISO effects exposure
2c.2) ISO effects the quality of an image by increasing the noise and grain of a picture.
All images must be in black and white, you can make the adjustment in the camera (if the feature is available) or make the adjustment later in photoshop (Image > Adjust > Black & White)

Exercise 2b: Shutter Speed

For this exercise I used to ceiling fan in my dining area as it had natural sunlight coming in. None of the pictures were over or underexposed according to the camera. While keeping the shutter speed at the amount I wanted for each picture I first changed the ISO and then the aperture to get the right exposure in each picture.


Exercise 2c.1:

For this exercise, I took the photo at home because I didn't have tripod since the last class. I only change the ISO.


1)   F18 S1/8 ISO100

 2)   F18 S1/8 ISO200

 3)   F18 S1/8 ISO400

4)   F18 S1/8 ISO800

 5)   F18 S/18 ISO1600

 6)   F18 S1/8 ISO3200


Exercise 2c.2 :

To prove the ISO effects quality of image I kept change the ISO and Shutter until get the right exposure.

1)   F4 S1/80 ISO200

2)   F4 S1/125 ISO400

3)   F4 S1/250 ISO800

4)   F4 S/500 ISO1600

5)   F4 S1/1000 ISO3200

6)   F4 S1/600 ISO6400

Screenshot :




Feedback :
Via Facebook :
"your attempt of exercise 2b: shutter speed, seemed like you manage to prove that shutter speed when increased or decreased is able to effect the capturing of the speed of an object. However due to the dark conditions the images in the beginning were dark (under exposed). The exercise 2c.1 was good in that you were able to prove ISO can effect exposure however you choice of subject matter for exercise 2c.2 wasn't good, it was overly complicated as such it was difficult to discern the changes in the quality of the image when you increased the ISO. --- The reflections apart from what you wrote, is meant for you to "explain" what you observed from your individual exercise and what you found from the results. By doing this, I would come to know whether you have understood the individual exercises."

Reflection :
Experience : I took the pictures in my room and around campus. I cannot did the exercise while Mr Vinod give time for take pictures so I did it at home with dark condition. I used my room lamp so the light is not bright enough to take a picture. Honestly the exercise a bit hard since I have to change and remember the ceiling fan speed also the ISO and Shutter speed but it’s really helpful to practice my memorizing. Actually learn about photography is fun, I hope I can learn more about camera and photography.

Observation : Sometimes I feel Mr Vinod make me confuse when he talk so fast and when he gave us instruction I can't really understand also I don’t have tripod yet. So I just take a look at my friends worked outside the class. From this exercise I had learned a lot about ISO and Shutter speed because I always use automatic mode when taking pictures. I have to use the highest ISO when my room is not have enough light, that is the reason why sometimes my ceiling pictures look so dark but when I keep to try and change the shutter speed.

Findings : I found that I'm really quiet to talk but when discuss with my friend I be able to talk confidently even only one sentence. Now I realize that have a bit understand about ISO and Shutter, it will better if I can practice to take picture by using what I have learned.


Learning goal: Students are able to prove that ISO effects exposure and is controls the sensitivity of the image sensor.
Learning outcome 1: Students will be able to use exposure settings (Aperture, Shutter Speed & ISO).
Learning outcome 3: Students will be able to distinguish a bad exposure from a good exposure.

No comments:

Post a Comment